Monday, June 6, 2011

Good bye Old Friend

Sunday morning I woke up with a bang literally. Landon came screaming into my room, holding Wyatt's talker. A starburst of cracks spread across the screen, and the images were scattered in as sad array of disrepair. Cotton was beside himself, as was I...our warranty was up in November. I am sure I can get my insurance to cover a new one, but here is the thing, Cotton has really been doing a lot of typing on it. He loves to type out new words, and of course his favorite message is "20th Century. Fox. Fanfare. Daddy. Call (meaning Daddy's phone)." note his use of punctuation :) ANYWAY, for the time being, I dusted off the proloq2go app on the iPad, I thought at the very least he could type.Would you know that after two years of snubbing this app, home boy took to it, like a duck to water! After I realized he was going to use it, I made a page that mimicked the Prc design. He has spent a few hours playing with and memorizing the pages, and he is using it! This is good news, only because the iPad and the iPod are much easier to lug around, and can serve multiple purposes. Specifically this is the future of alternative communication. Not to mention with Cotton's visual needs and, and his fine motor issues, the iPad is going to be his "go to tool". It would be nice if his com device was on it as well. I am going to give it a few weeks, and see how well it works for him, before I contact my insurance company.But so far I am really hopeful.

1 comment:

mjsuperfan said...

I'm sorry about the talker, but that's good news about the IPad. Is there a way that you make Proloq2go the only app he can get to? Or is he motivated enough to use it that he chooses it over other apps?

About Me

My photo
I blog about autism, albinism, my three "active" boys, and life a military family.