Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Many Layers

I like to be as honest as possible in this blog. I want to talk about autism, and how much I enjoy raising my child with autism, but I think it is only fair, to tell the whole story. Right now, we are in the middle of a lot of stuff. Cotton has had a really good school year. His teacher, his aides and his various therapist are all spot on, and really good to work with. They are also honest, and when they are stuck they let me know it. For the moment we are moving through the stuck part.

Cotton is OBSESSED with the song Fox Fanfare (the intro to the 20th century fox movies) the ONLY thing he wants to do, is watch You Tube videos of the intro. If he is not listening, or watching Fox Fanfare, he is asking for it, and there is very little that matters to him in his life other than this song.

I've been doing this long enough to know that behavior is always communication. This compulsion is probably a symptom of being over stressed. Solving this problem as it pertains to Cotton is not as easy as it may seem. I have cut back on his after school therapy, because (and this is another post) after school therapy is a stress on all of us! But in doing so, I have created more anxiety, because his schedule has changed. So on the days he use to have therapy he yells, Ms. T....Fox Fanfare...ipod, the ENTIRE afternoon!!!!

He has also become very unengaged. Our life has changed a bit since our move. In Oklahoma we had people over all the time. His interactions were inappropriate, but he was at least interested. Here, our friends are more spread out, and we are more likely to meet for a girls night, or go out as a couple than get together as families. This has had an effect on him as well. I think he really enjoys, having people over to the house in his domain where he feels comfortable.

Thirdly, and this is going back to an earlier point, there is a serious sensory element that has been ignored. After school therapy is largely table play (mostly due to weather and is changing as I type). But Cotton is a sensory mess right now. His school is starting brushing therapy up again. In the past I have not been a huge believer, but it is making a big impact at the moment, so I am all for it.

There are so many things to tackle here. Like I said in my previous post, I feel a little lost. As we (and I mean the team) start to peel back the reasons for all of these newish behaviors, we are coming up with new and creative ways to help him. The big thing, the thing we need more than anything, is to teach him how to help himself. More head scratching to come.

3 comments:

mjsuperfan said...

Well, I appreciate your honesty. I'd like to say something sympathetic but My brain is fried from a crazy day (picture me chasing Brendan through the bakery section of Target, etc. etc.)
Sending positive thoughts you way.

mjsuperfan said...

Back to comment more... it's interesting how much you have figured out about what is bugging Cotton. Hope the brushing therapy continues to help. Getting away from working at a table so much should really make a difference.

And, while it's frustrating that he isn't getting to see family friends, it is so great that he wants to see them, and is missing having people over!

This is such an insightful post, and it's given me things to ponder about some of the behavior we've got going on at my house.

Melissa said...

I continue to learn from you and from Cotton. Thanks for being so open and honest! Hang in there! My son (who also has Albinism/Autism) is only 3 so I do not have any insight but will send positive thoughts your way.

About Me

My photo
I blog about autism, albinism, my three "active" boys, and life a military family.