Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Changing the Language

I have an issue with the language used within the autism community. Kids who represent with milder symptoms are often referred to as "high functioning" and as a contrast, kids who have a more "classic" presentation of autism are considered "low functioning." It is the first question that I am asked when I disclose my son's diagnosis, "is he high functioning?" Well to tell you the truth the answer is not black and white. My son can out "function" many of the kids in the mild category, but no, mild does not describe his challenges either. I usually refer to him as having "old fashioned autism."

I really think the comparison is unfair to be honest. It is like comparing a visual impaired person to a completely blind person. The same teaching methods are often used in both cases, but the outcomes are very different. The "autism spectrum" has become a VERY wide diagnosis. It is often important for me to convey my child's challenges, particularly to medical professionals etc. but I find the word autism is not really adequate any more, and I would NEVER refer to anyone as "low functioning." I'm not sure what it should be called, or how to make the decision about who belongs in what category, I'm just saying the language needs to change.

3 comments:

;cash's mom said...

I agree! I attended a local Autism Society meeting, and had to fill out paperwork. One of the questions was "what type".. I put classic, not even realizing what it truly meant! To be honest, Im not sure where Cash fall's on the Spectrum.. just like you said, its so broad.

mjsuperfan said...

I agree. So many of the kids identified as on the spectrum these days have what seems like a totally different disorder then my guys. My sons have so many strengths, it doesn't seem right to compare them to kids with Aspergers or "HFA".

Erin said...

We're totally new to this, identicl twins diagnosed just before Christmas at 25 months. Of course, being new to this, we want some sort of label to hang on to and so far, no one is willing to put any sort of label on it. I think it's just the hopefulness of it all. But I'm coming to terms with the fact that it is what it is and labels aren't going to change it or make it better or easier.

About Me

My photo
I blog about autism, albinism, my three "active" boys, and life a military family.